This course follows the book Rethinking School: How to Take Charge of Your Child’s Education by Susan Wise Bauer and focuses on helping the credentialed teacher gain a better understanding of how to support homeschooling families. This course is also for the homeschooling parent who finds a need for an alternative way to educate their K–12 child. This course shows a new way to teach and learn through compassion and practical tools. Participants will learn how to take control of the education process in a way that nurtures the child’s mind, emotions, and spirit. Topics include: Evaluating maturity, creating an action plan, developing self-awareness, special needs, accelerated learning, and history of education.
In this self-paced course, Shannon Carpenter will explain how to apply the concepts learned in the book Rethinking School to everyday homeschooling life so you can see positive results. This course does not earn FPU credit.
- Module 1 – The School System, Grades, & Labels
- Module 2 – Giftedness, Toxicity, & Testing
- Module 3 – Homework, Acceleration, & Multiple Intelligence
- Module 4 – Teaching Yourself, Rethinking, & Self-Awareness
- Module 5 – Noneducational Tasks, Imagination, & Homeschool Styles
- Module 6 – Getting Started, Independent Work, & Out-of-the-box Teaching
- Module 7 – Radical Alternatives & Extras
- Rethinking School is a digital course.
- Instructional funding is accepted. After purchase, you will receive a special code to log in to the classroom. You will then have immediate access to the course and can complete the modules at your own pace.